About the job:
Are you interested in Big Data and taking on the challenge of building highly scalable distributed databases and distributed computing systems? Verdigris is developing cloud based machine learning platform that analyzes huge volumes of device level energy consumption data. As a DevOps engineer, you will be helping to build and maintain solutions hosted on AWS around various database systems such as Cassandra, Redis, Elasticsearch, and PostgreSQL. You will also be responsible for implementing continuous deployment and integration toolsets such as Chef and Jenkins.
As an early DevOps hire, you will be accountable for developing processes for our SaaS infrastructure and driving improvements across all teams related to quality of our codebase and infrastructure. The person should be passionate about server/network architectures, distributed systems, building rock solid infrastructure and taking on new challenges such as designing and building automation services, enterprise resource planning (ERP) software integrations.
- Database design, integration, deployment, and management
- Design and develop server infrastructure, both hardware and software
- Integrating product and product support infrastructure (testing and monitoring platforms)
- Architecting communications protocols for scalability and reliability
- Cost engineering and infrastructure automation to operate profitably/flexibly
- Work closely with other engineering teams to understand and mitigate issues and improve performance
- Work with operations team to help integrate, automate, and architect supply chain solutions
- One of the following:
- Minimum BS/MS degree in Computer Science/Computer Engineering/Electrical Engineering or related technical field OR
- 2 years experience in Developer Operations
- Experience with distributed databases and querying languages such as SQL and/or CQL
- Experience with database systems below:
- Cassandra, Elasticsearch or similar distributed databases
- PostgreSQL or similar relational databases
- Redis or similar in-memory stores
- RabbitMQ or similar message queues
- Experience in distributed computing systems such as MapReduce, Spark, or similar systems
- Strong understanding of digital communications protocols and OSI layers 4-7
- Experience with AWS, Heroku, or similar cloud computing platforms
- Experience in developing frameworks, platforms, and APIs
- Experience with test driven development tools
- Previous experience with Chef, Puppet, Docker or similar deployment tools
- Expertise in networking and security
- Monitoring tools such as Nagios, Monit, etc.
- Operational metrics such as infrastructure performance, cost efficiency, scalability, etc.
- Personal projects on GitHub or hackathon participations
- Accepted contributions to public repositories or open source projects
- Experience with StitchLabs, NetSuite, SAP or similar ERP tools
Career Development and Training
We take career development seriously, but as a startup we provide minimal mentorship. We provide opportunities and technical support for the right individual to develop the right processes and help us.