About the job:
Mattermark is hiring a Machine Learning Engineer to build the early, key pieces of the service. Mattermark is driven to uncover all the information investors need to find startups they want to invest in. As a Machine Learning Engineer at Mattermark, you will build tools to collect new data signals in order to create proprietary insights and data through statistical analysis and machine learning techniques. We want someone who loves turning painful, manual processes into automated ones. To be successful, you need to be great at coming up with creative ways to bring structure and organization to unstructured data. As we are a small and agile team you’ll have the opportunity to wear many hats: it’s important that you are both a skilled web developer and machine learning expert.
WHAT'S IN IT FOR YOU
- You will play a critical role in building Mattermark’s core data consumption, analysis, and creation technologies. We want someone who brings a strong opinion to the table and will be proactively involved with product planning.
- Dig deep to discover what drives the momentum of private companies and investment. Get creative -- whether it's looking at DNS record changes, crawling the web with phantomjs, or building out a call center that measures mean time for businesses to pick up the phone.
- Design experiments that can structure insights and data from the vast amounts of information locked away in text on the internet.
- Work with a team that can bring your ideas to market. We already have over four hundred of the most influential VCs and dealmakers using Mattermark every day.
- Work with other talented Data Scientists and Software Engineers, including the creator of the Open Source Data Science Masters (http://datasciencemasters.org/)
WHAT YOU WILL WORK ON
- Extract structured data about funding events from the thousands of news articles about companies that are posted every day
- Predict if, when and how much a company is going to raise for its next round of funding
- Detect emerging industries by analyzing the features of newly established companies and determining if they fall into a new, previously unidentified cluster
- Predict who will become a startup founder based on publicly available data about them
- Build a scalable infrastructure that can be used to experiment on new Machine Learning models and run validated models on massive amounts of streaming data
WHAT YOU NEED TO BE SUCCESSFUL
- 3 years of software development experience
- 3 years of Machine Learning experience
- Highly skilled at Python, experience with Hadoop/Spark is a plus
- Experienced with using Natural Language processing techniques
- Can talk about Random Forests, Naive Bayes and Support Vector Machines in your sleep
- Passionate about startups, ideally with a background or at least some interest in finance
WHY WE LOVE IT HERE
- Join a team that knows how to have fun! When we're not hacking, we’re gathering around the table for authentic Hot Pot (yum!)
- Health benefits: We’ve got you covered with health, dental and vision benefits. We pay 100% of your premiums and 50% for dependents
- Stock options
- Fully-stocked fridge
- Technology to do your job successfully: new computer and (practically) whatever else you need
- Flexible and generous vacation policy, paid holidays off, including your birthday!
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- 1Gbps Internet speed at your desk