About the job:
We build amazing products by questioning the standard way of doing things. Every day, the engineering team faces the challenges of scaling to support our increased booking volume, building a unified global platform and adapting to the newest mobile technologies, all while keeping our apps fast and our UX clean and simple. The team takes enormous pride in the product experiences they deliver to our millions of Android users worldwide.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Develop the world's most loved hotel app for Android phones and tablets, focusing on the UI layer
- Use creative, out-of-the-box thinking to push the boundaries on what is possible with Android - keeping the product true to our core values of Simple, Beautiful and Useful - but taking advantage of the newest features and rejecting the common ways of solving problems
- Work closely with the Design team to ideate and prototype new directions; build new features in the app
- Participate in Scrum stand-ups and retros, effectively communicating between Product & Engineering
- Be a senior contributor to defining big portions of the products you build, committing clean reusable code, and mentoring other Android team members
- Work with the Platform team to extend our APIs and other systems to support your ideas
WHAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR IN YOU
- 3-5+ years expertise in Android SDK, core Java and related technologies.
- A passion for the Android platform - you consider it the best, use it yourself, and want to make beautiful apps for it. You have published apps in Google Play with stellar reviews.
- Excited by and familiar with tools and methodologies for building great software including Git, Java, Gradle, Fragments, and open source libraries. Knowledgeable about Material Design.
- Strong understanding of software architecture and design best practices.
- Appreciation for Agile development, fast sprints, continuous integration, and beautiful efficient code.
- Smart yet humble. Independent and product-focused.
- Bachelor's in Computer Science or a related technical field required
WHAT YOU'LL GET FROM US
- True startup experience — no bureaucracy and a ton of tough decisions that have a real impact on the business
- A chance to become an expert in mobile travel while it’s a nascent, growing industry
- Camaraderie of an amazing team that is working tirelessly to build the world's most-favorite accommodation booking app
- Great SF office location at Market and 5th Street (if you don't live in the Bay Area, we’ll move you here!)
- Generous compensation, pre-IPO stock options, and unlimited vacation. Excellent health, FSA/HSA, and 401k plans, too.
- Sweet perks — Quarterly travel stipend, your choice of equipment and a giant monitor, catered meals daily, unlimited coffee and snacks, a subsidized gym membership at Equinox Sports Club, access to our very own hotel-inspired full bar, and a gong that you’ll get to bang when you ship something amazing!